Madikeri Fort (Coorg District) was first founded by Mudduraja in the second half of the 17th century. He also built a palace inside the fort. It was eventually rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan who named the site as Jaffarabad. In 1790, Doddavira Rajendra took control of the fort. The British who added to the fort in 1834. The palace was renovated by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II in 1812-1814. In the north-east corner at the entrance are two life size masonry elephants and a church is present in the south-east corner.
Madikeri Deputy Commissioner’s Office is located inside the Madikeri Fort premises. The church building houses a museum, which contains several items related to history – mainly the British rule era, and also has a huge portrait of Kodagu’s eminent personality Field Marshal K. M. Cariappa.